Friday, October 11, 2013

Bittersweet Milestones

Today marks the end of the first quarter in school. This not only means that the semester is half over, but that I am offically a fourth of the way through my senior year. I have been attending the same school for fourteen years, since I was four years old. I feel like the teachers are practically my family, and especially because I am so involved, I feel as though the school is my second home {I'm literally there more than my own home}.

So in honor of being a quarter of the way through my last year, I thought I'd share my top tips for underclassmen, or people who have yet to enter high school.

1. Challenge Yourself

I know that it is so tempting to take easy classes, or to only take classes that halfway challenge you. It is appealing because you know that you'll have free time, and that you'll be able to get "perfect grades." I think the best choice I ever made in high school was to push myself. Now obviously not everyone can take a schedule stuffed with AP classes like I did, but you should explore what your full potential is. Never let the fear of too much work stop you from experiencing a class. I have learned much more about myself while taking difficult classes than I ever learned about the particular subject. So basically, take a risk. Take the class that you know you will probably not get an ideal grade in, you may even discover that you can handle it better than you thought.

2. Break Out of the Mold

In high school this is easier said than done, and I totally understand that, I'm living in it. But the one thing that I have learned in my high school experience so far is that people are almost never who you think they are. That quiet kid in the corner could be hilarious, sweet, and outgoing, but he just feels uncomfortable in the setting of your school. That girl who you think is extremely superficial could be the most genuine person you've ever met, and she just happens to have a lot of material things. I try to remember that I would want someone to get to know me, because obviously first impressions and sterotypes aren't always {they're actually almost never} correct. So take your time to get to know that person who you think you'd never like in a million years, because you really never know.

3. Look at the Big Picture

I am so guilty of this one. I get caught up in my day-to-day stuggles and priorities. I think that getting a not-so-ideal grade on my test is the end of the world. I think the fact that someone gave me a not-so-friendly look in the hallway is the worst thing to happen that day. Then there are those days when you feel like you just can't do anything right, that everything is falling apart and going wrong. The biggest thing I'm learning is that those days, weeks, and months, all pass eventually. Have you ever thought about all the "bad days" you've had this month so far? Chances are you can't remember many of them. Why? Because it got better, you moved on, you had a good day. Just try to remember that no matter how bad things get, things will eventually get better. 

4. Pray, A Lot

My faith is what got me through high school, no doubt. It is so hard, but I try to utlimately just trust God in everything. My grades, my future {aka college applications/acceptances}, my friends, my love life, everything. I don't know where I'll be in ten years, who I'll be friends with, or what I'll be doing, but God does. Just trust him. 

I hope that y'all have a great weekend! I hope you'll find some time to do something meaningful and special. Try to cherish the little things and the moments.
XO,

No comments:

Post a Comment