Monday, February 3, 2014

Perfect Oreo Truffles

I'm gonna let y'all in on a little secret... oreo trufles are one of my MAJOR weaknesses. People would often bring them into school and they seemed so easy to make, but when I tried to make them it was always a disaster. I tend to be known around my school as "martha stewart" and people seem to think that I can bake practically anything. For some reason the oreo truffles were just my weak spot. When I tried to melt the chocolate it would always become a sticky mess, and the truffles would end up looking downright dreadful. If the chocolate melted well, then the truffles would fall apart when I put the skewer in them to dip in the chocolate. It was just awful. If I'm being honest, making truffles would often end in me crying out of frustration and just throwing everything away.

But then I had a breakthrough a few months ago. Now I make oreo truffles with a smile on my face, and it has become easy. So in hopes of y'all avoiding my struggles, here's my tips to making the perfect {stress-free} oreo truffles!

(Image adapted from here)

1. Recipe {adapted from here}
  • 36 oreos (1 package)
  • 8 oz cream cheese
  • 12 oz chocolate chips (white or semi-sweet)

Take 9 cookies out a leave them aside, you can either snack on them or crush them and sprinkle them on top of the completed truffles. Crush the remaining 27 cookies, then mix with the cream cheese. Form 1-2 inch balls with the mixture. 

2. Freeze!
This is a big deal. Most recipes I've seen don't tell you to freeze the balls before dipping in the chocolate. This is HUGE. If you freeze the balls, you'll be able to put them on a skewer when you dip in the chocolate... and they won't fall off!

3. Melt in small portions
The chocolate can become a mess very easily. That's why I melt half the bag at a time. Put it in a dish, and microwave, mixing every 30 seconds. Be sure to not only stir, but also get the chocolate from the bottom to the top! Typically after the 4th 30-second interval the chips are creamy and ready to go! Be sure you don't over-cook. Often, it will still look lumpy but if you give it a good stir it will smooth out. Also, no matter how bad the chocolate gets, definitely don't add milk or water to smooth it out...I made that mistake once.

4. Tap Away!
Put your oreo ball on a skewer and dip it in the chocolate, then tap the skewer gently on the side of the bowl so that the chocolate smoothes out over the ball. Then put it on a cookie sheet covered in wax paper to harden. 

5. Add sprinkles ASAP
I always get so involved in making them perfectly covered in chocolate, that I forget about topping with sprinkles or the crushed oreos until the chocolate is already hard. So make sure to add your toppings right after you dip.

Now you can make fancy little oreo truffles all the time, and it will be EASY! Can you believe that?
XO,

4 comments:

  1. I nominated you for the Liebster Award! Check my blog to find out more!
    Caroline
    {pinkandgreenpearls.blogspot.com}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I will most definitely participate!

      Delete
  2. Just stumbled across your blog, super cute! I had no idea making truffles was this easy, I always expected it to be one of those things that took hours and levels of skill that I did not posess.

    www.goingupupandaway.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely! Just followed your lovely little blog! I need to figure out a way to use a translator to view it in the future :)

    ReplyDelete