Monday, February 24, 2014

Some Thoughts

Hello, and I hope you are having a wonderful start to your week!

Typically I share lighthearted things on here such as quotes, photos, shopping, crafts, etc. but today I felt that I needed to share something a little different. Lately I have been in a very unique place in my life and in my relationship with God and I feel blessed beyond measure! Many months ago marked the end of a bit of a rough patch in my life which lasted about a year. At the time I had no idea that anything was wrong, but now it is glaringly obvious when I look back. The people I was surrounding myself with were simply not nurturing the person I was trying to become, in fact they caused me to become very unhappy, negative, and judgmental. I found myself spending ridiculous amounts of time talking about other people and simply just trying to be 'better than everyone else.'

Silly simple elements of my personality which I now have learned to cherish most about myself were suppressed by these people I was around, and that is so sad to think I let it happen! For example, I am a complete morning person. I am by no means rude or obnoxious to those who don't wake up as quickly as I might, but I just wake up with ease {most days}. When I was staying with friends on a trip, I would get up in the morning and make them all coffee and serve it to them in bed, which they completely loved! It brought me so much joy to do this small little thing for them, and they appreciated it so much because they hated getting out of bed in the mornings. All of that to say, there were actually people in my life who would try to make me feel bad for being a morning person! They made me feel strange, annoying, or too "glass-is-half-full."

God shaped us to fill each other's voids. Silly as my example may be, my "morning person" attitude was a blessing to the girls I was rooming with, but at the same time it was a blessing to me that they were "night owls" so they would let me shower and get to bed as early as I liked, because they were going to be awake late anyways!

I also feel that I have a positive outlook on life overall. I try to see things in other people's eyes, hope for the best, and live every day to the fullest. Once again, some of these people in my life at the time would make me feel like I was foolish for being happy and enjoying life. They made it seem that because I wasn't bitter and angry as they were that I was not experiencing life and all the bad things in it, or that I was simply living an easy life. That is so far from what I see as true now! My life is very busy and stressful and at times I just don't know how I will get through the day, the week, or the month, but I can't always control that. God gives me the immense gift of waking every morning and enjoying His beautiful creation, why on earth would I waste that being hung-up on little struggles?

All of this to say, there is nothing more heartbreaking than seeing someone who God perfectly shaped try desperately to please others who do not value their worth. I actually had someone make a list about all of my faults! At the time, I was so distressed and full of grief because I thought that I was a bad person. While a few of the things they had pointed out were genuine character flaws that I try to work on through God's help, many were huge elements of my personality. Do not let the precious qualities of who you are be insulted and tarnished by those who simply do not appreciate you for all the you are!

I know this quote is used all the time but it perfectly applies to this post!

Photo via Society6

So shine bright, sweet friends! And remember that you were fearfully and wonderfully made by God! Let Him burden your heart for the things that you need to work on, and then remember that your sweet personality is a gift from Him, surround yourself with people who will cherish it!
XO,


No comments:

Post a Comment