Thursday, June 20, 2013

Florida Summer

Tomorrow is summer solstice, meaning two things: National wear your Lilly day and the official beginning of summer! In honor of the start of my favorite season, I thought that a list of my fav summer pastimes was due!

1. Outdoor Exercise 
Biking, swimming, walking, oh my! I love all of these things and they are even better in the fantastic summer weather! Living in south Florida, my favorite spot to bike or go for a walk is with out a doubt the Lake Trail on Palm Beach island! There is nothing more beautiful then enjoying the view of the intercostal waterway, the beauty of downtown West Palm Beach across the water, or the fantastic architecture and landscaping of Palm Beach that is so wonderfully displayed along the Lake Trail! After working up a bit of a sweat, a swim in the pool at home is a must! 

2. Casual Boating 
Popularly known as a "booze cruise" (also the name of one of Lilly's summer 2013 prints!) a relaxing afternoon riding around in the boat with great friends, as well as yummy food and refreshments is a fantastic way to spend a summer day! My favorite spot to cruise is along Jupiter Island! All of the amazing mansions in Jupiter are hidden from road view by large trees and hedges, but because the homeowners want to enjoy the view of the water from every inch of their home, the only way you can gain a full view of the homes is from the water! There is NO better way to enjoy the amazing mansions of the island than by boat! Invite friends, pack yummy appetizers, and cruise the day away! 

3. Become a Beach Bum 
A good afternoon at the beach can solve anything! My biggest tip for enjoying the beach is planning ahead. If you know you will be there during lunch, pack something or pick up subs on the way. If you know you aren't a fan of being sandy on the way home, pack a change of clothes. I have found that the more prepared I come to the beach, the happier I am when I leave! I am sensing the potential for a post on my beach essentials in the future... 

4. Fishing
My parents are hugely into fishing, and while I am not as avid of a fisherman as they are, I do enjoy a good day out on the water! I prefer fishing in the open ocean as opposed to fishing "inside" as we call it at my house. But whichever you prefer, take advantage of the calmer seas in the summertime! Especially if you are easily sickened by the seas, the summer in Florida is the best time to go out fishing! I'm hoping to catch some Mahi or Yellowfin Tuna this summer! 

5. Mani-Pedi
Summertime for me is all about rejuvenation! Focusing on eating clean, exercising outdoors, relaxing, and taking care of my body! A great way to pamper yourself is to get a summer mani-pedi! Be sure to pick out a fab summer shade! My current favorites are "lovie dovie" and "rock the boat" by Essie! 

6. Make Your Own Smoothie 
There are some great fruits in season during the summer such as blueberries, strawberries, blackberries, cherries, peaches, raspberries, and many more! Check what is fresh and in season local to you, then bring it home & make a delicious summer smoothie! Also, a trip to your local farmers market makes for a great summer activity! 

7. Stock Up with Sales! 
Summertime boasts some great sale prices, so be sure to take advantage of the opportunity to grab some great deals! Plus, who doesn't love the summer colors and styles? I know I do! 

Until next time, I hope all of you are enjoying your summer! What are your favorite activities? 

XO, 

2 comments:

  1. Everything about this makes me long for Sanibel! Great post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Sanibel! Do you live there part-time or are you just a frequent vacationer?

      Delete