Thursday, November 14, 2013

Be Blessed, Not Busy

Happy happy Thursday (or should I say... happy almost Friday?!)

This week has been so crazy for me but I love it! I really wouldn't have it any other way. I know I typically post about simple things like clothing, accessories, or my life in general, but I am going to begin to get "deeper." Ha! In all seriousness though, I truly have a lot of things which I feel God has been putting on my heart lately and I want to share them with y'all! The first of these things is the topic of today's post!

My life is busy. I know, you are probably thinking, "my life is more busy than yours." We all think that. But I really can't begin to explain how crazy my schedule is... while going over my resume with my college counselor last month, she asked me in completely seriousness, "Do you have time to sleep?" While I typically just run though life and check things off of my to-do list, my parents have been saying to me lately, "Casey, you need to slow down" or "Casey, do you really need to be doing ALL of these things?" Usually when I am at a point like that, I completely agree with them. But this time is different. I confess that I am without a doubt the busiest I've ever been (and I actually think it's perhaps the busiest I'll ever be - or at least I hope). The thing that is really crazy about it all though, is that unless I sit down to think about all the things I accomplished that day I don't quite notice.

In past stages of my life (like last year, for example) I was exhausted. I dreaded 90% of the activities I was dedicating time to, and it really wore on me. I was busy. The reason I point this out, is because I am beginning to notice that there is a huge difference between being busy and being busy. No, that wasn't a typo! Ha! The first type of busy is when you have that endless checklist of things you don't want to do... wash the car, clean the room, do the homework, go to that class you dread. That type of busy wears you down. You don't enjoy it much at all and most of the time you are there all you can think about is when you can leave. I have been there and done that, and I think I should get award for how many times I did it (and did it well, if I do say so myself! Ha!) Overall though, that type of busy is just NOT the place you want to be, and NOT how you want to live your precious life!

But then there's that other kind of busy... when you are just totally immersed in things you have a passion and a love for. That's where I am now. And I think that shouldn't even be considered as being busy, that's just being flat-out blessed! Because if you are lucky enough to be filling your hours with things that bring you joy, YOU ARE BLESSED! For me, that's things like this blog, my hostessing job, baking, being the editor of my school's newspaper, and going out to eat with friends. I could do any of those things for hours, and yes I would be tired, but no, I definitely wouldn't complain. God puts all the opportunities for the blessings, we just have to choose to prioritize the things that bring us joy, rather than the things that simply bring us success in the eyes of the world around us.


I saw this quote on pinterest the other night (follow me here!) and it really got me thinking about this whole thing. I realized that there have been many times in my life that I was busy, and I totally hated it. But I also realized that right now, I am living a life that appears "busy" to everyone around me, when really it doesn't feel that way to me at all... yep, that's just because I am soooo blessed! I think that having experienced & realized this difference, I am going to live differently.

When people ask me, "Hey Casey... will you help us with this?" or "Hey Casey, join this club!" instead of just doing it like I usually would, I instead will ask myself "will this make me more busy, or more blessed?" I think that anyone who begins to reevaluate the things they have going on through that lens will find themselves much happier in a few months. Clear out the bad, bring in the good!

So repeat after me... "I am not busy, I am blessed" (and if you are "busy," work on getting "blessed" instead!)

That's all for now, have a fab rest of your week!
XO,












This post is the first in a series about my view on life. View the other posts here:
2. Start Today

No comments:

Post a Comment